Most Active Stories
- Bixby High School Bypasses Band Contests In Favor of Further Music Education
- Why Are There 1,000 Unfilled Teaching Jobs in Oklahoma?
- The Pros and Cons of Buying Gas With or Without Ethanol
- Two Bills Seek to Replace End-of-Instruction Exams with One Test. But What Test?
- Climate Denialists In Congress Acting As NASA's Kryptonite
Fri January 10, 2014
Speak of the Devil: A Talk With Satanic Temple’s Lucien Greaves
Recently, the Oklahoma State Capitol has become a major battleground in the debate over freedom of expression. The placement of a Ten Commandments monument on the Capitol grounds has led to requests for statuary representation from other groups, including Hindus, the People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals and the Satanic Temple. The panel overseeing the Capitol grounds has stopped accepting these requests until an ACLU lawsuit regarding the Ten Commandments monument is settled, but the New York-based Satanic Temple is continuing with its plans. It’s even submitted a design, which has sparked even more controversy. I talked with spokesman Lucien Greaves about the statue and about Satanism’s image in the public eye.
You can see an artist's rendering of the Satanic Temple's monument design here.
Rally at the Capitol
Money for Education
This Week in Oklahoma Politics