StateImpact Oklahoma News Reporter
StateImpact Oklahoma seeks a curious, eager and enterprising reporter to join a team of journalists who investigate and explain how public policy affects people in Oklahoma.
You’ll produce ambitious journalism that holds government officials and powerful institutions accountable. You’ll file stories on radio, digital, visual and social media and do general assignment and breaking news coverage, as needed.
This is a three-year grant-funded position, with the expectation of continued funding.
StateImpact Oklahoma is an award-winning public service media collaboration of NPR member stations (KGOU, KOSU, KWGS and KCCU) with a weekly audience of almost 230,000 listeners and more than one million unique digital readers.
Bachelor's Degree in Journalism or Communications OR equivalent combined education and work experience AND 12 months of journalism experience are required. Also, the ideal candidate must be able to:
- Produce in-depth content on complex issues in multiple formats
- Maintain exceptional news judgment, ethical standards, and commitment to accuracy, fairness and analysis
- Represent StateImpact Oklahoma at public events and through social media
- Demonstrate familiarity with audio and visual editing and general office software
One year’s experience in public media and government, policy or political reporting is preferred.
Required applicant documents:
- Cover Letter
- Three work samples/clips/links
- Pitch/budget line for three StateImpact stories
- Short pitches for a radio feature, long-term project and innovative idea
The position is open until filled. The salary range is up to $36,000 per year, based on experience, with excellent fringe benefits. KGOU Radio at The University of Oklahoma is an affirmative action, equal opportunity employer. Protected veterans and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
KOSU does provide internship opportunities for college students. Students can attend any college and use the experience as internship, practicum or independent study credits. More information can be found here.