Most Active Stories
- The Future of Gen Xers and Their Kids
- A Child's Imagination at Christmas
- Why The President Wants To Give Hundreds Of Millions Of Dollars To Toddlers
- Headlines: High School Football, QuikTrip & Nazi Toy Ring
- NY Times: Pruitt a Leader in ‘Secretive Alliance’ Between Attorneys General and Energy Industry
Fri March 14, 2014
Austin Band Lord Buffalo Features Two Stillwater Natives
While dozens of Oklahoma bands drove several hours to play SXSW, two Stillwater natives only had to drive a few miles. That’s because they’ve lived in Austin for eight years.
Singer Daniel Pruitt and guitarist Garrett Hellman grew up in Stillwater from an early age. They played in the band Shiloh Fivecoat and both went to Oklahoma State University – Daniel studied English and Garrett studied Electrical Engineering.
After moving to Austin eight years ago, they formed the Hot Pentecostals and still maintained some Oklahoma connections, releasing a split 7″ record on an Oklahoma City label with former Norman band Cheyenne.
After Hot Penecostals disbanded, the two eventually formed Lord Buffalo. Although they prefer the terms mud folk and psycho stomp, they probably more well defined as dark psychedelic folk music. I hear touches of Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds and The National in their songs.
Lord Buffalo is playing five shows this week, including an official South By Southwest showcase on Saturday night.
More information on Lord Buffalo at lordbuffalo.com.
All Songs Considered