Current Weather
The Spy FM

The pros and cons of buying gas with or without ethanol

Filed by Quinton Chandler in Local News, News.
November 12, 2013

Click here to download audio

What do you pump pure gas or do you use a little ethanol? In most of the country there’s no question you go with the mix but there are a lot of holdouts in Oklahoma who still demand a regular supply of ethanol free fuel. Why? What does pure gas do that the ethanol can’t? KOSU’s Quinton Chandler finds the answers and explains how federal standards may take away our choice between the two types of gas.

If you’re from Oklahoma you’ve probably gotten used to seeing signs that say, “Buy 100% gas here”, “No ethanol”, “Ethanol Free”. That’s because a lot of Oklahomans share a love for pure gas. Jim Griffith, CEO of OnCue Express says this is one of the only states where you’re given the choice.

“There are pockets of clear product in other states but Oklahoma is just a little unique in that there are some people who don’t want to put anything but the pure product in their cars.” “Some people believe they get better performance. Some people believe they get better mileage…”

Jim says OnCue’s customers are split almost 50/50 between clear gas, and the 10 percent ethanol mix called E-10. The company also sells E-85, but it isn’t one of their stronger products. No one seems to know how this divide between E-10 and clear gas started. That’s just how it is.

“My husband says that the car will run longer so he says to put the better gas in.”

“People really do promote that 100% gas. I don’t know what it has to do with. I’ve noticed it all my family all my friends prefer the 100% gas.”

Most of the people I interviewed either wanted only pure gas, only ethanol or they didn’t care one way or another.

“This engine is specifically made to take gas that’s mixed with ethanol. The clear gas is like $0.20 more per gallon so I like it.”

“Even though it’s more expensive I will spend the money to put it in my truck. I think it’s going to make my truck run and last longer.”

Jim told me his suppliers are starting to sell him pure gas at a twenty to thirty cent difference and the 100 percent gas still sells just a little bit better. This got me thinking, is having pure gas worth spending a little extra money or are people really just paying for peace of mind?

“I prefer to run full gasoline all the time…”

I’m inside the garage of Stillwater Automotive. It’s one of the slower hours of the day most of the guys are out to lunch but a couple are still here with their heads stuck underneath car hoods. The 80’s hard rock hit. Round and Round by Ratt plays in the background. I’m with the office manager Robbie Daugherty and he’s agreed to set me straight on the facts and fiction surrounding Clear gas and ethanol.

“When you look at the chemical compositions of ethanol and gasoline….gasoline is definitely a more dense fuel in terms of energy that you’re going to get per pound. So it does more efficiently. You’re going to get more miles per gallon out of gasoline than you are out of ethanol most of the time.”

“If it’s relatively close to the same cost I absolutely stick with straight gasoline.”

But, Robbie added that the mileage difference isn’t huge when you’re talking about 90 percent gas and 10 percent ethanol. It’s when the percentage of ethanol compared to gasoline grows that you really start losing efficiency.

Now for my next question. Can ethanol damage your car?

“No most modern fuel injected cars run great off of the 10 percent ethanol mix. Where you get into problems is with systems that aren’t designed to run off of that mixture. Which are going to be your older cars, your carbureted cars, lawn mowers, motorcycles, things like that don’t run great with ethanol.

“The danger that we do hear about is that alcohol is a water based fuel so it does allow moisture into the fuel lines so we’ve heard reports about corrosion and rust in the fuel systems of those older vehicles because they’re not made for that.”

But those older cars are the exception not the rule. That’s actually good news considering that over the next nine years the federal government will require oil companies to add increasing amounts of ethanol to the supply of gasoline until there is 36 billion gallons of the stuff in 2022.  Jim with OnCue says because demand for gas has dropped. In order to meet the federal standard oil companies want to push people away from clear gas and toward the ethanol product.

“A lot of this is kind of like when there was leaded gas and then there was unleaded. Nobody wanted to buy the unleaded until the price got enough different. I see the same thing happening with the E-10 and the clear. At some point they’re going to have to move over.”

Change may be inevitable, but Jim says it would be nice if lawmakers slowed down our ethanol nosedive to give his customers a little bit longer to catch up.

But for now, while we have a choice Robbie says most people shouldn’t stress out about which fuel is best.

“For most people that drive a modern fuel injected vehicle either one is going to run just fine, you’re not going to have problems either way so buy what’s available and don’t worry about it.”

10 Responses to “The pros and cons of buying gas with or without ethanol”

1. Frank says:

What do I do if I'm driving a 1987 420 SEL Mercedes .

2. Frank says:

Well ethanol hurt in 1987 Mercedes 420SEL.

3. Frank says:

Is there an additive I can put in gasoline to offset the problems with ethanol

• Jeff Surratt says:

Bell Performance in Florida sells an additive called Ethanol Defense. The company has been making fuel additives since 1927. I use it in my 1966 Mercedes 250 SE in every tank even when I buy pure gas here in Montana.

4. Larry says:

I only use "Pure Gas" in lawnmowers, weed trimmers, blowers, chain saws,
    all small engins. I've learn my lesson the hard way with E10 in small engins.
    Believe me it worth the extra change for these small engins.

5. Jonathan Lathbury says:

This article barely touched the surface. First, ethanol, as in E10 blend, is not good for cars made prior to 2008 and many cars made after 2008 still run better and get higher fuel economy with E0 pure gas. Ethanol is very corrosive and is detrimental to the fuel system. Likewise ethanol eats rubber, and there are quite a few rubber components in the fuel delivery systems. Most vehicles, not just older ones, will see an increase of 10% to 25% when the switch is made from E10 to E0.
    Second, ethanol production is terribly damaging on the environment. Since it takes such large quantities of water to grow the corn and then to process the corn to ethanol the Ogualla aquifer is being drained at an alarming rate.
    Third, ethanol does not lower emissions. In fact it raises Nitrous Oxide or NOX at the tailpipe. The EPA knows this and allows higher NOX readings in areas of the country where ethanol use is nearly 100%.
    Fourth, while its true that Oklahoma is truly a blessed state There are other blessed states as well such as Minnesota, Wisconsin, Arkansas, Tennessee, Florida, Miss, Alabama, Georgia, South Carolina, North Caroliona, and Virginia, and especially Alaska. I'll touch on Alaska in the next section. Some states have fewer E0 sources and unfortunately some states are in virtual E0 deserts.
    Fifth, Alaska has no E10 gas available because of the extreme cost to transport the product. Ethanol is so corrosive that it can not be piped like gas and oil. It must be transported by rail and tanker truck.
    Sixth, ethanol has a very short shelf life, either in the tank of a gas station or in a vehicle. It can easily go bad within 6 to 8 weeks especially in the more humid environments. When this happens then phase separation occurs and fuel pumps, filters and injectors will get royally clogged up. Elderly people who drive their cars very little are at high risk for instance.
    Seventh, there are many other arguments to be sure for the discontinued use of ethanol in our nation's fuel supply. The best way to locate a source of E0 pure gas is to go to the web site Pure-Gas.org. This site will show every known non-ethanol retail source of gas across the country.

6. Kevin says:

I have been running ethanol free for the past three tanks. My mileage according to the dash CPU rose from 16.4mpg to 17.1 mpg. The price was $3.69 vs $3.42 for e10. That's a 4.3% increase in mileage for a 7.9% increase in cost. Not exactly breaking even but not having to stop to fill as often plus any benefit to longevity makes it worth it to me.

7. Charles Hall says:

I get 20% better mpg on ethanol free gas in my 1984 Mercedes. It also runs noticeably smoother. I recently was in a location where I could not find ethanol free gas so had to buy gas with ethanol, the car immediately started running rougher. As soon as I tanked up on ethanol free gas, it started running better within a few miles.

On the other hand, my 2009 Toyota minivan only gets 10 to 15% better mileage on ethanol free gas and runs only a little bit better. But I think that long term the ethanol free gas will lengthen the life of the Toyota's engine.

8. jeff says:

Huge over-site in this report.
    Ethanol positively destroys the fuel systems on outboard boat motors.
    Sticky and plugged injectors and things of that line.
    As stated by and earlier poster, Oklahoma is not unique in having a choice, I'm sitting in Florida and we have a choice here

9. Rudy says:

My hedge trimmer, leaf blower and other small engine hate the ethanol mix. I started to use ethanol free in my landscape equipment and I do notice more trouble free starting, better response in throttle, steady idle and Way less exhaust stink…I mean very noticeble. I use less gas on my trimmers…(Echo) very little contsumption. I buy the premix fuel by the 6 pack. I find deals online for 23 dollars per case.