Current Weather
The Spy FM

Ben Allen’s last day at KOSU is October 2nd

Filed by KOSU News in Feature.
October 2, 2013

KOSU’s Ben Allen is leaving October 2nd (he’ll be the new Morning Edition host at WITF in Harrisburg, PA), and wrote this brief post about his time in Oklahoma.

____________________________________________________________

I knew going from New York City to Oklahoma would be hard. Oh, and I arrived to a pretty empty Stillwater in the middle of one of the hottest summers ever. What I didn’t expect was how everyone would be so welcoming and accommodating. It’s been a great ride, from start to finish. But it has to come to an end. On Wednesday, October 2nd, I will sign off KOSU for the last time.

In the past two years, you’ve put up with my mistakes, my blunders, and my growing pains, as you listen to Morning Edition on KOSU (and if you just followed me on twitter, well that’s cool too). In return, I hope I informed, provided context, and inspired, while also maybe providing a laugh every once in a while. It’s been an eye-opening experience from start to finish, and I would encourage anyone looking for a job in public radio to start at KOSU. My bosses allowed me to fail, try crazy things, fail at those crazy things, and try them again. They directed me when I needed direction, scolded when I needed a scolding, and set me up for success in the future.

I’ll be eternally grateful for those at KOSU, you the KOSU listener or twitter follower, and anyone else I came across who helped fill in just one more blank for me as I tried to draw a complete picture of Oklahoma. When I start at a NPR member station on the East Coast, I’ll be defending the state left and right to those who scoff at the mere mention of Oklahoma or any state in the middle of the country. In a cynical world, positive stereotypes often get discounted, but in the case of Oklahoma and KOSU, they’re very true. Let’s not trivialize it and put a name to it. Let’s just say this is a great place, with greater people.

_____________________________________________________________

And for how my thinking changed when it comes to sports, click here.

23 Responses to “Ben Allen’s last day at KOSU is October 2nd”

1. Laura D says:

Congratulations on your move. You'll be missed here!

2. Jeffrey Johnson says:

Ben, you will be missed. You were not just a voice, but really dug in and produced thoughtful opinions on pressing issues. Whether I agreed with every one doesn't matter, I just knew the opinion was formed based on research and consideration. Godspeed in your next adventure.
    Jeffrey @jeffreytjohnson

3. MikeR says:

Sorry to hear you're leaving. Best of luck with the new opportunity!

4. Amy says:

Oh, no! What a loss! Ok, I always hope for people to grow and pursue their dreams. But darn we'll miss you!

5. Scott says:

Hard to see you go my friend…but that is the nature of living in a college town…we will miss many things about you…especially those "Pressure-Packed" last few moments of the pledge drives…good health, and good luck!

6. Oh man! What a loss to us!! Good luck on the new job!!!

7. @wpmullen says:

Best of luck Ben. I just stopped commuting last week so I haven't been listening, but for the last two years, you've got got me to work knowing just enough to get me through the day. Fairwinds and following seas, Ben!

8. J.Holt says:

Thank you for the heartfelt final message.
    I'll miss your voice in the mornings.
    Wishing you great things in the future!

9. Gene says:

Oh man! I liked you. You were kinda real. Sorry to see you go. Have a good time wherever you end up.

10. jennifer says:

Ben, I will really miss you. I connected with you the first time I heard your voice. Your delivery of Oklahoma weather will never be bested. You will remain among my favorites long after you leave this place. Don't forget us and we won't forget you. Now, we're all just a tweet away. Sincerely, jen

11. Gina Noble says:

You did a great job, Ben. Best wishes for a successful career (already on your way) and a happy, healthy and inspiring life! Cheers!

12. Oh no! Breakfast will not be the same.

Best of luck to you!

13. Dennis says:

Ben, we'll miss you in the morning. Please, don't forget you'll need to speak twice as fast for the Yanks!

14. Chase says:

Nooooooooooooooooo! This is a huge bummer BUT I'm pumped you're moving on up. You were there every morning with me while I cooked my eggs and made terrible jokes that I still laughed at, I'm going to miss that. Best of luck in your journey, my friend.

15. james nimmo says:

I'm going to be listening to your new station via the internet.

16. RACHEL says:

THANK. F**KING. GOD.

17. You will be missed, Ben!! Your enthusiasm, intelligence, and sincerity were obvious in every broadcast. Best of luck in the next chapter of your life!

18. Gwendolyn Hooks says:

Congratulations!

19. Cate Stow says:

You have been a breath of fresh air! I listened to KOSU in the am to just hear you and your stories. I hope they do not go back to their stuffy ways!!! Thanks so much for brightening my mornings. You will be missed!

20. Ellen Trump says:

Congratulations, Ben! You'll be missed greatly here in our household as we've enjoyed your unique style and all that you have brought to KOSU. Thank you, and best wishes always.

21. Ben, we're realy going to miss you. It's been a joy listening to you in the mornings. I wish you the very best at your new job . . . and I hope you won't have to get up so early in that new job! Have a safe trip and a long, happy, and successful life. You'll be missed.

22. Harlan Moore says:

Ben, you've been my "jogging partner" many a morning. I pray your move back east is everything you want it to be. Thanks for all you've done for the people of Oklahoma. Wherever you are, may you always consider this place home.

5AM to 9AM Morning Edition

Morning Edition

For more than two decades, NPR's Morning Edition has prepared listeners for the day ahead with two hours of up-to-the-minute news, background analysis, commentary, and coverage of arts and sports.

Listen Live Now!

9AM to 10AM The Takeaway

The Takeaway

A fresh alternative in morning news, "The Takeaway" provides a breadth and depth of world, national and regional news coverage that is unprecedented in public media.

View the program guide!

10AM to 11PM On Point

On Point

On Point unites distinct and provocative voices with passionate discussion as it confronts the stories that are at the center of what is important in the world today. Leaving no perspective unchallenged, On Point digs past the surface and into the core of a subject, exposing each of its real world implications.

View the program guide!

Upcoming Events in your area (Submit your event today!)

Streaming audio and podcasts

Stream KOSU on your smartphone

Phone Streaming

SmartPhone listening options on this page are intended for many iPhones, Blackberries, etc. with low-cost software applications available to listen to our full-time web streams, both News on KOSU-1 and Classical on KOSU-2.

Learn more about our complete range of streaming services

We're perfecting the patient experience - Stillwater Medical Center