Current Weather
The Spy FM

Take Survey for Weekend Shows

Filed by Rachel Hubbard in Feature, Uncategorized.
August 2, 2012

As you may have recently heard, Car Talk will cease production in October.  While we will continue to air archives from the show, the retirement of Click and Clack and the recent results of our listener survey continue to indicate it’s time to look at the possible next generation of public radio programming.

So, with that in mind, we’re going to do some experimentation with some new shows on KOSU over the next few weeks, and you get to put in your two cents.   As a warning, it will be at least a temporary departure from the programming you’re used to listening to on the weekends because we need a place to test these shows.  We hope that you’ll participate with us and let us know what you think.  Starting Saturday, June 30, we will begin airing the pilot versions of three new shows.

After you’ve listened, we hope you will fill out our brief survey to help us decide whether these shows deserve a more permanent place on KOSU’s program schedule.

KOSU Pilot Program Feedback Survey

The TED Radio Hour — Saturday at 12:00 p.m.

There is no greater opening to possibility than the birth of an idea, created out of inspired imagination and spread far and wide at the speed of light. It is with total delight that we announce the TED Radio Hour. “Talks” from the legendary TED stage are coming to radio for the first time and in a new format that will intrigue curious listeners and stir the imagination.

Each year, TED hosts the world’s most fascinating thinkers – convention-breaking mavericks, icons, and geniuses – who give the talk of their lives in 18 minutes or less about the best ideas in Technology, Entertainment, Design and much more. Through this exciting co-production between TED and NPR, each episode will focus around a theme (such as “Happiness”) and TEDTalks that put ideas about the theme through the paces.

But the TEDTalks are just a launching point. Woven into and around a Talk, we’ll layer in innovative soundscapes that bring ideas to life and break-off into conversation with the original speakers to probe why an idea made waves, got inside people’s heads, and provoked excitement. Sometimes only portions of the original TEDTalk is played; other times you hear them almost in their entirety. Each approach to every idea is different, yet fascinating listening and great radio.

The TED Radio Hour will offer a fresh step back from the frenetic pace of news. By pulling back from immediate events to explore the ideas underlying them, a whole new, connected picture opens up. And, for the most part, it’s hopeful: astonishing inventions, fresh approaches to old problems, new ways to teach and learn. Through this series, public radio stations will offer the one gift that you can hang onto even after you’ve given it away — the magic of an idea worth spreading.

Ask Me Another — Saturdays at 1 p.m.

NPR’s Ask Me Another is a lively hour of puzzles, word games, and trivia played in front of (and with) a live audience. Ask Me Another‘s entertaining melange of brainteasers and fun is a descendant of Weekend Edition Sunday‘s Puzzle Segment with Will Shortz, but infused with the vibrancy and quick wit of Wait, Wait…Don’t Tell Me.

Listeners can play along, testing their knowledge of history, geography, literature, grammar, spelling, pop culture and even mathematics along with the competitors called up to the stage.

Yes, we do math on the radio. But it’s our distinct brand. Try this on your loved ones: Total number of Brontë Sisters, plus total number of Marx Brothers? Or how about the total of Dalmatians, plus all those Luftballoons, divided by Ali Baba’s thieves?

Ask Me Another host, noted comedian and storyteller Ophira Eisenberg, guides listeners with her witty banter aided by the comedic riffs and songs of house musician Jonathan Coulton. Each episode features an interview with a Mystery Guest (noteable actors, comedians, and authors whose identities are revealed via puzzle clues throughout the show), who then takes a turn in the contestant’s chair facing trivia games written especially for him or her.

Cabinet of Wonders — Sundays at 3 p.m.

John Wesley Harding’s Cabinet of Wonders is a variety show recorded live at the City Winery in New York. It features an exciting mix of musicians, authors, comedians, and other artists. Imagine you’re in the audience of a talent show put on by your friends, your very talented, critically acclaimed friends. They sing, read from their novels, tell jokes, make you laugh, make you think, and keep you entertained. That’s the Cabinet of Wonders, hosted by musician and author John Wesley Harding. This hour-long radio show features performances from Ted Leo, Josh Ritter, Craig Finn, Nicole Atkins, and readings from authors John Hodgman, Patrick McGrath, and Rick Moody. As host John Wesley Harding puts it, “the time is right for a little variety.”

25 Responses to “Take Survey for Weekend Shows”

1. Paul Hammond says:

It seems that the Ted Radio Hour and Ask Me Another make Saturday programs too similar with not much variety. Ask Me Another too much like Wait, Wait. Cabinet of Wonders is a bore. Please keep the old lineup.

2. Shae says:

I loved the TED radio hour! The meshing of recorded talk and astute interviewing kept me in my car till the end. I was actually on my way to the bookstore for something else and ended purchasing Daniel Gilbert's book as well! Please keep it coming!

3. Travis Smith says:

TED is terrific., insightful, educational, entertaining, and absorbing. I look forward to be be able to listen every week.

Ask me Another is fun. It is like Wait, Wait only in the sense that it is funny. I like that real people are the contestants. I would go out of my way to listen to it.

4. Gary DeMoss says:

TED! to the dust bin.
    I don't recall hearing "ask me another". So willlisten Sat.
    Cabinet of wonders is pretty good.

Q: what will become of the splendid table?

5. rachelhubbard says:

Gary, we are evaluating all the current programs on our air based upon data of our listeners habits and the results of the recent survey we conducted about the direction of KOSU. At this point, the three programs we are testing are short-run pilot programs produced by NPR. We'll see what happens at the end of our test period in August. As for the Splendid Table, we are looking at several options including keeping it, picking up America's Test Kitchen and/or possibly developing a local version including Oklahoma chefs and local ingredients. We're very interested in your opinions, so keep them coming.

6. Sharon Cornell says:

America's Test Kitchen would be a great replacement for Spendid Table, assuming the consensus is that it needs replacing. I still enjoy Spendid Table with her interesting variety of guests and topics including wine. I've been traveling for several weeks and did not know there was a shedule change. The absence of regular programming sent me scrambling to the computer to listen.

7. John P says:

TED is great. keep it. Thoughtful insights on a variety of topics.

8. Marcia says:

Ted is wonderful. It is a great addition! I have not heard the other two new programs yet.

9. Doris says:

Ted was informative and interesting. Ask Me Another seemed to be a waste of time. Please keep Splendid Table. It is interesting for the culinary aspect, but also on a cultural level looking at the food of different peoples and locales.

10. Sam says:

WITH"1" BEING VERY POOR AND "10" BEING EXCELLENT:

6 Ted Talks
    2 Ask Me Another
    1 Cabinet of Wonders

Eliminate "Living on Earth"

Keep "Splendid Table " and "Travel with Rick Steves"

11. Guest says:

TED is not thr relaxing program that I want on Saturday morning. I love the Splendid Table. Ask Me Another is a bore.

12. Lazy Listener says:

After listening to the numerous reminders on air, to participate in the survey, I have finally figured out what is playing when.
    Today, I will make a point of listening to Cabinet of Wonders, next week the others.

Please leave the To The Best of Our Knowledge, The Blue Note Music Hour, Ira Glass and Wait, Wait, Don't Tell Me in the line up. Also On Being and Living On Earth.

I will sorely miss Click and Clack.

13. Robert says:

I will miss the car guys. The proposed programs appear to be more of what we already have – news quizzes and art mix. Car Talk and The Splendid Table provide variety that will be lost. Car Talk will be no more but please keep Splendid Table or a good cooking program. KOSU axed opera on Saturdays and lost me as a listener for many hours of the week to find more music. These changes could force me to go to streamed radio via computer.

14. Walter says:

Please keep The Splendid Table, one of the best programs on radio.

15. Nancy says:

Really liked TED and really didn't like the other two. Please keep Rick Steves and Splendid Table. We don't need any other "quiz" shows. As far as I know there is no other show similar to Rick Steves, who is always interesting. Even if you're not a traveler, he still broadens your horizons as if you were!

16. mark says:

I would vote to continue TED and not have another game show on the station. Splendid table and other cooking shows are always a good addition.
    Please move Ben Allen from the morning. I did not like Ms. Banzet and Mr Allen is not any better, they do not have a radio personality or voice . I change the channel when he comes on. Fortunately, I have 3 other NPR stations to choose from

17. jamesnimmo says:

Those of us with computer access can listen to any public radio program by going to any public radio website. It's not always as convenient as turning on a radio and listening to the local station but the opportunity remains. The problem for any local station is to keep the local listener engaged for loyalty and fiduciary reasons. There's nothing wrong with Mr. Allen; it's good to hear someone quirky instead of the staid and reserved chorus of interchangable NPR announcers and readers who never seem to find the ironic humor in the dreadful news they have to report.

18. Rusty Muns says:

My opinion: TED is great. We could use more programming like that. The other two shows are really annoying and, sadly, great examples of the tragic dumbing down of NPR. Please have a little respect for your listeners.

Thanks.

19. Nina says:

Thank you for soliciting our feedback regarding the program changes! I REALLY hope Rick Steves will stay on the air — it's a great show, and you are the only station in Oklahoma that carries it, as far as I know.

20. homebuilding says:

Somehow, it leaves me cold when TED is never identified by "technology, entertainment, and design." I thought it would be more related to the fantastic website: ted.com

I'd really like to see Rick Steeves stay on and I'd like to suggest:

The Folk Sampler with Mike Flynn from Siloam Springs, AR. He's on public radio in Tulsa and numerous eastern states.

Please consider it. He picks a particular topic, say mothers just before Mothers Day and all folk songs featured (old, traditional, and new) are on the mothers theme. Excellently selected artists and performers

Thanks

21. Carol says:

Ted is "all right"…..the other two I don't like at all. Silly and uninteresting. Much preferred Splendid Table and Rick Steves.

22. Teresa says:

Could AfroPop WorldWide be considered? That would add some variety.

I like TED but not the other two. I seldom turn off NPR but for Cabinet of Wonders and Ask Me Another, I have… <sigh>

I am missing Spendid Table – something I like to help with my cooking, and I do need the help!

23. Rolf says:

John Wesley Harding is extremely annoying as a host. Musical guests are okay, but readings from novels by the writers has been painful. Close the cabinet and donate to a thrift store.

TED is just okay, occasionally good. Ask me another is terrible, just a rotten production.

Travel with Rick Steves is always interesting as is Splendid Table, though I would not be opposed to another cooking show. More world music, live folk/alt/alt-country type performances would be a great addition.

24. Dee says:

I love the new programming!!!! TED is by far my favorite, but the others are growing on me as well.Thank you all so much for bringing new things that mix it up!

25. Ned Stephenson says:

I vote for Splendid Table and TED. Ask Me Another is terrific unless the usual singer is absent, in which case the show is memorable for hearing the absolute worst singer ever. I thought it was a joke, but after a while, I assumed they are trying to get their show cancelled–maybe they have a long contract, and need to get out somehow.