Tragedy In Colorado: The Latest
Filed by KOSU News in US News.
July 21, 2012
– The death toll remains at 12. About another 58 people were injured and at least 11 of those are in critical condition.
– Bomb technicians continue to carefully work at the apartment of suspect James Holmes where, as The Denver Post writes, they’re dealing with “a tangle of wires, trip wires, jars full of liquid and things resembling mortar rounds.”
– Hundreds of mourners gathered Friday evening at vigils around the Denver area.
– We’re learning more about Holmes, who until the early Friday rampage had been known as “a clean-cut, studious young man of sparing words.”
Prayers, vigils and questions.
Too many questions.
Too many disturbing questions.
On this second day after one of the worst acts of violence in the nation’s history — a gunman’s attack on a movie audience in Aurora, Colo., that left at least 12 people dead and wounded about 58 others — the nation continues to ask … why?
Why did a man open fire early Friday at a midnight screening of the new Batman move The Dark Knight Rises?
And there are so many other questions:
– Who is the suspect, 24-year-old James Holmes?
– Can anything more be done to prevent such attacks?
– And who were the victims, who deserve to have their stories told and their lives remembered?
We’ll use this post to follow the news today as the story continues to develop. Hit your “refresh” button to make sure you’re seeing our latest additions. Also today, we’ll add other posts to The Two-Way as important angles emerge.
Update at 8:45 a.m. ET. Robot May Go Into Holmes’ Apartment, Then A Bomb Technician:
Experts are hoping they can send a robot into Holmes’ booby-trapped apartment at some point today, KUSA-TV just reported. But the station reports that officials say if the bombs are to be defused, a technician will need to go in to do that dangerous job.
Update at 8:40 a.m. ET. Webcast From Denver:
KUSA-TV continues to stream its coverage here.
Update at 8:20 a.m. ET. Holmes Was “A Smart And Quiet Man:”
We’ve got a separate post with some of the latest reporting about Holmes.
Update at 7:35 a.m. ET. Names Of Some Who Were Killed Continue To Emerge:
According to The Associated Press, “the deceased victims included 23-year-old Micayla Medek, said Anita Busch, the cousin of Medek’s father. The family took the news hard, but knowing her fate after waiting without word brought them some peace, Busch said. ‘I hope this evil act, that this evil man doesn’t shake people’s faith in God,’ she said. Besides Medek, relatives confirmed that Alex Sullivan and Jessica Ghawi were among those killed, Sullivan on his 27th birthday.”
Eyder wrote about Ghawi earlier. As he noted, “by just minutes, Jessica Ghawi escaped a mass shooting in Toronto, last month. She chronicled the experience on her blog.” But Friday in Aurora, her brother has reported, she was among those killed. [Copyright 2012 National Public Radio]