Man Has Implicated Himself In Etan Patz Disappearance, NY Police Say
Filed by KOSU News in US News.
May 24, 2012
“An individual now in custody has made statements to NYPD detectives implicating himself in the disappearance and death of Etan Patz 33 years ago. We expect to provide further details later today,” New York City Police Commissioner Ray Kelly said in a statement released this morning, New York’s Daily News reports.
But whether this person had any direct involvement in the 6-year-old boy’s disappearance is unclear.
New York’s WABC-TV says “the man, who was picked up by NYPD detectives Wednesday, is not considered a suspect. No charges are expected to be immediately filed.”
According to NBC New York, “the man is known to investigators and not anyone new in the case law enforcement sources say. He worked and lived in Patz’s neighborhood when the boy disappeared.”
As All Things Considered reported last month:
“On May 25, 1979, the first-grader was walking alone to his school bus stop for the first time ever — two, short blocks — when he disappeared. His body was never found. No one was ever criminally charged. The disappearance of Etan Patz transfixed the city — and well beyond. He was one of the first missing child cases to attract national attention.”
In April this year, authorities ripped apart the basement of an apartment building in the hope of solving the mystery. They reportedly didn’t find anything to help solve the case.
We’ll watch today’s developments and update with any news.
Update at 8:10 a.m. ET. Claims He Played A Role In the Crime?
Here’s how The New York Times starts its report on this latest news:
“New York authorities are investigating the claims of a man who has told investigators that he had a role in the 1979 disappearance of Etan Patz, the 6-year-old boy who vanished in SoHo on his way to school and is believed to have been murdered, officials said on Thursday.”
[Copyright 2012 National Public Radio]